Monday, April 27, 2015

V/H/S (2012)

V/H/S  (2012) - Four criminal youths break into a house to find a rare VHS tape that will bring them a big payday.  As they check out the murderous and creepy collection to find the tape they want, they discover this job was more than they bargained for.

Wasn't the "found footage" movie style pretty much over by 2012?  If you're a fan of the style, you
will love this movie.  My vertigo and I are NOT fans, because the constant camera jitters, wild swinging movements, and horrible lighting make it difficult to watch.  The characters in the movie are all repellent except for one victim, and he pushes it by pressuring his girlfriend to have sex on-camera.

I will say that the vignettes have interesting premises, although the editing style left questions on a few of them.  And I fell asleep during the one with the Skyping girlfriend who had the ghost of a little boy in her apartment, waking up just in time for the end.

If you're bothered by "found footage" films, but have a project that requires your concentration, this might work for background noise.  Maybe.  You'll have to be pretty tolerant of skeevy conversation by guys and f-bombs.  Maybe the kids I hung out with in my 20s were much nicer than the kids today, or maybe the world is going to hell in  a handbasket, but honestly the people in this film have very few redeeming qualities, if any.

I give this a two out of five stars.  While the "short stories" in them were interesting, the brutal and disgusting personalities detracted from the film as a whole, and the camera style made me nauseous.  No laugh out loud moments, no needle-drops or "holy crap!" moments.  I didn't even find anything trite or over-played enough for an eye-roll.  This is my first zero-count movie, and it's not because I didn't have any reaction to this movie, it's just that it didn't sway me much in any direction.

Okay, I maybe laughed out loud at the halloween party-goer who said he dressed up as a nanny-cam.  But that was pretty much it.  If you must collect every found footage movie ever made, then you'll want to pick this up.  Otherwise, I'd give it a pass.



No comments:

Post a Comment