Thursday, April 23, 2015

X-Men: Days of Future Past (2014)

X-Men: Days of Future Past (2014) PG-13 -  Hugh Jackman, James McAvoy, Michael Fassbender, Jennifer Lawrence

While this movie is a thinly veiled attempt to continue the X-men franchise with the "baby X-men" AND include fan-favorite Hugh Jackman, that doesn't make it any less of a thrill.

I will admit, I have not read any of the books.  At all.  I'm more of a Witchblade/Wonder Woman kind of gal.  So if I'm ignorant of the mythos here, and it shows, you'll have to forgive me.


The movie starts in the future, where sentinels have wiped out all but a few X-men and anyone whose genetic profile indicates they could eventually breed an X-man.  Kitty, who as far as I previously knew only walked through walls, now has the ability to send someone's thought patterns (or perhaps it's their whole brain?  That's not made clear) backwards in time.  They've traced the demise of the X-men down to one pivotal moment... when Raven (aka Mystique) kills for the first time.

Somehow it's only the Wolverine who can make the journey.  So his future brain is sent back to his 1974 body... still bone claws and no adamantium... where he will have to break Magneto out of prison, get him and Professor X back together, and stop Mystique from ruining the future.

Just as in "First Class" with the 60's, the era they are in is represented fairly well... cheesy leather coats, muttonchop sideburns, and the music some of us remember from the 70's.  I'm started to become irritated with how they try to tie characters from all the movies into every movie... Stryker, for one.  Shout-outs to Cyclops by showing his father... I could see it being relevant in "First Class" but I'm not sure it was necessary in "Days".

I felt that it could have been made clearer or more obvious that all the characters that didn't make it from "First Class" to "Days" like Azazel, Angel, and Banshee were killed and dissected by Dr. Trask, and that's why she'd never be turned away from it by talking.  The only way you'd know it is if you look very carefully at the autopsy records Mystique looks at when she breaks into Trask's vault, and then you'd have to be pretty good with faces.

By far, my favorite scene is when Quicksilver takes down a room full of Pentagon security to "Time in a Bottle".  It's like a little lesson in physics.

While there are minor bits that annoy me with this movie, overall I love it as a whole.  For every stadium Magneto unnecessarily uproots, there's a flash of humor or a quirky detail to make up for it.  I give it a four stars out of five.

That concludes my first annual time-bender week... tons more of those up my sleeves, but I'll save some for next year.


No comments:

Post a Comment