Thursday, April 16, 2015

The House at the End of Time (2013)

The House at the End of Time (2013) NR - A woman moves back into her mysterious and possibly haunted house after doing thirty years in prison for murdering her husband and being implicated in the disappearance of her son.

"Look carefully at my face.  Listen to my voice."

This movie is in Spanish, so right away, this is not a good fit for my knitting needs, as I am not fluent.  But in every other way, it is my perfect fit.  It has lighthearted moments of childhood
shenanigans.  It has creepy atmospheric moments right where they need to be.  The transition between the modern world and flashbacks is completely clear and well-defined without resorting to obvious tactics.  Best of all, it combines my two favorite genres in an unexpectedly perfect blend.

Since I was not crafting, there were no needle drops, but when you're about half an hour from the end, there will be some holy crap moments one right after the other.  It was good up till then, but that's when it gets really interesting.  I'll give you one hint... the Freemasons?  That's a red herring.

I don't want to spoil this movie for you.  It's one of those movies that has a few twists, and even with some very obvious clues (in hindsight), it's not given away.  This is coming from a woman who figured out what Bruce Willis' deal was about two seconds after his home robbery in "The Sixth Sense" on first viewing.  Maybe it's the difference between foreign and American cinema, but this movie did surprise me.

Go into this movie with no expectations of the plot.  You'll be glad you did.

I will tell you this much... it ties up all the loose ends very neatly... and poignantly.  I cried at the end.  Not an ugly cry, but there were actual tears.

If you are a fan of tense, atmospheric ghost stories, get this film or watch it on streaming media.  I gave it five out of five stars.  I was going to give it four and a half, but that last half hour more than made up for the slightly slow beginning.



No comments:

Post a Comment