Wednesday, April 15, 2015

That Guy... Who Was In That Thing (2012)

That Guy... Who Was In That Thing (2012) TV-14 - A documentary showcasing several actors whom you may not know by name, but you know their faces.

That Guy... is an interview-style documentary.  These actors talk about their successes and failures, what it's like to be in the business, their day jobs, and their families.


If nothing else, this is a documentary to show your children if they come to you one day and say they want to act for a living.  Since this doesn't really have a plot, and the documentarians were very good at staying out of the picture, this isn't so much a critique as much as it is an evaluation of its merits as entertainment.  If you like behind-the-scenes features on DVDs, like any incarnation of Star Trek, or merely want to know more about the audition process, then you will like this movie.

And if you're like me... a person who loves to recognize an actor from one job to the next, then you will love this movie.

I did laugh out loud several times during this film, though I only remembered to note three of them.  I did have one "Holy Crap!" moment when they slowly showed how each of the main actors we'd been seeing interviewed had been on Star Trek (some of them several times as different characters) and I recognized voices behind the heavy makeup.

One odd thing I took away from this was that if Tim Omundsen and I had grown up together, I think we might have been friends.  I like that guy.

Great for crafting, but then most of these interview-style movies are.  I give it a four and a half out of five.  I could do without the stock film of Hollywood and LA being cut in between segments.  I also felt there were a few more faces (like Jeffrey Combs) that could have been in it, but then maybe they weren't available.

No comments:

Post a Comment