Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Interstellar (2014)

Interstellar (2014) PG-13 - Former engineer and test pilot turned farmer Cooper (Matthew McConaughey, A Time to Kill) goes into space to save a dying Earth.

I discovered something new about myself watching this film... I will never be a candidate for space travel.  It started with Gravity, and I thought it was just a fluke of timing.  But ten minutes into space
travel in Interstellar, and I was having a panic attack.  It's ridiculous.  Is it their floating around weightless?  Is it the claustrophobic helmets?  No clue, but even though I love sci-fi and space movies, it looks like I'm going to have to give them up... or at least cut back on caffeine on those days.

Whatever my personal situation, Interstellar is a good film.  It combines post-apocalyptic grimness with fantastic machines (the military robots were amazing), space travel and exploration, the nobility and frailty of humanity, and the sense of adventure we seem to have lost.

My only problem was near the end.  The physical manifestation of five dimensions seemed corny and ridiculous until you get to the explanation at the end.  It wasn't enough to make you give up on the film (who would, when you're two and a half hours into it with a half hour to go?) but it did make you pause and feel like maybe you've wasted your time.  It was good that the final explanation brought you back around, realizing that it could only have been constructed that way, because it was the only way it would work.

Lots of good actors plying their best craft in this film.  Predicting a second dust bowl was frighteningly realistic, and the planetscapes off-world were well done.  As I said before, the tech was amazing, and kudos to the team that designed the military robots.

I didn't craft during this film, but there were three laugh-out-loud moments and a holy crap moment.  At times this movie felt like it was part Firefly, part Dragonfly, and part Gravity, all combined to create a pleasing whole.

I really enjoyed this film, but it was really, really long, and the feeling of absurdity in the dimensional construct slightly detracted from the film.  I give it four and a half out of five stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment