Wednesday, March 4, 2015

The Awakening (2011)

The Awakening (2011) spins the tale of Florence Cathcart (Rebecca Hall, Transcendence), a turn-of-the-century ghost-debunker.  Set in the lush history of post-war England, she travels to a boarding school where a student has died... supposedly scared to death by a ghost.

Florence travels to an old house that has been converted to a boy's boarding school.  There she has assistance from the housemistress and one of the staff, Robert Mallory (Dominic West, John Carter) in catching the perpetrators of the ghost hoax.  Is it some of the children playing pranks, or is there something more sinister afoot?

This is a richly-textured movie, and definitely gothic in the strictest definition of
the term.  Think of Downton Abby and then imagine holding a seance with legitemate results in the dining room, and you might get an idea of the
viewing experience.

There are a few twists and turns that make the movie slightly unpredictable, but honestly it's all been seen and done before once you look at the overall picture. Once again my hands are tied trying to describe the plot to you without giving too much away.  I will say that this is not just a movie about being haunted by spirits, but also about being haunted by memories.  Men and women still alive after the war are haunted by the friends who did not survive, and all of us have regrets about our past.

This movie was chilling in some parts, but there were also a few occasions where I rolled my eyes.  For being a strong, educated woman, Florence seemed to crumble rather quickly in the face of the paranormal, even considering what we find out later.  There was no humor in this movie, but I did put down my needles a few times to concentrate on the action.

Overall I'd give this movie a four out of five stars.  I would watch it more than once, but I'd cue it up on Netflix or Amazon rather than purchase the disk for myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment