Wednesday, March 18, 2015

In A World... (2013)

In A World... (2013) - Lake Bell (No Strings Attached) writes, directs and stars in this story about an underachieving voice coach and voice-over artist trying to break the gender barriers of the business.

Carol Solomon is a vocal actor who has a hard time finding work "because she's a chick" despite the fact that her father is a Lifetime Achievement winner in the business.  Tensions run high when she, her father, and the guy she's dating are all up for a job on an important quadrilogy trailer that may decide who will be the next go-to movie trailer voice.

Part romantic comedy, part mockumentary, this movie was a awkward look at voice-acting in L.A.  Part
of me felt that if I actually lived there and worked in the business I might get even a deeper layer of the humor involved, but there was enough connectable human drama that made it work.  The whole movie has that kind of understated humor that you may not catch on the first viewing.  However, the one adjective that comes to mind is "awkward".  The way the characters relate to each other, work with each other, flirt with each other... awkward.  It does so in a way that's quirky-charming, though, so if you're a fan of shows like "New Girl" you will totally love this movie.

There was one eyeroll in this movie, but it was so awful it was definitely intentional, and that's when Gustav is hitting on Carol and says that "culture was his education".  His pass at her was so obviously smoothly rehearsed that it was an eyeroll at the male ego.

Seven laugh out loud moments, mostly at a few clever lines like "His voice is a vision", "Chim Chimmery", and "I cannot wait to see that movie".

I like to point out the use of the number 42 whenever I spot it, so you'll want to notice Dani's apartment number is 42.

At one point Carol wears this avocado green sweater that I would totally love to recreate on the knitting needles.  I did not get to count needle drops today, as my internet streaming was acting up and I spent a lot of time trying to get that running in time for me to write this.  However since a lot of this movie is audio-oriented, you will find that it won't distract from your knitting much at all.

I'd give this movie a four out of five stars.  While it's charming despite its awkwardness, I couldn't help feeling that it was some big L.A. inside joke that I was never going to get.  I'd say it's worth watching on Netflix streaming when you're in the mood for something "adorkable" but I'd give a pass on buying the DVD.


No comments:

Post a Comment