Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Strictly Ballroom (1992)

Strictly Ballroom (1992) - Young ballroom dance competitor Scott Hastings (Paul Mercurio, Exit to Eden) wants to shake up the traditional mindset of the Australian Pan Pacific Championships and dance his own way, but everyone is against him.  When beginner Fran (Tara Morice, Moulin Rouge!) asks to be his partner, he sees his chance... but can the ugly duckling be turned into a swan in time?

This weekend was a musical marathon in the house... it's been raining for three straight days, again, and so naturally I started with Singing in the Rain, segued into High School Musical, and finished up with Moulin Rouge!... but only up to the happy "ending".  So this morning I decided to give Strictly Ballroom a try.



Unfortunately everything I dislike about Moulin Rouge! is also in this picture... loud, over-the-top obnoxious people in bad blue eyeshadow interrupting perfectly good musical and dance numbers.  It works a little better in Ballroom because it contrasts the artificial hypocrisy of the competitive dance world with the natural, organic style of dancing that Scott and Fran want to do.  It's a movie about not living your life in fear, and doing what's in your heart instead of what others expect you to do.

In that sense, it's a good movie.  The scenes where Fran and Scott are practicing are heartwarming and lovely, and the winning-over of Fran's father and her grandmother is a great scene.

However, the constant interruption of raucous, over-the-top bad acting by Scott's mother, the dance Federation president and his wife, and studio owner Les, makes me feel like I'm watching a very, very long Twisted Sister music video.

Since a lot of this movie is visual, this is not a good movie to knit to.  I stopped my eyeroll count when I was barely into it, as I was doing it constantly.  The weeping and wailing of the female dancers, agonizing over how Scott was acting, that alone was enough.

I give this movie a three out of five stars.  If you really need background noise while you concentrate on a difficult project, and you can tune out minah-bird level screeching and wailing by distraught stage mothers, then go ahead and stream this on Netflix.  Even at $6 for the DVD, I don't know if I'd ever add this to my collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment