Tuesday, August 18, 2015

A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night (2014) NR

A dismal oil town gets even worse when a young vampire girl starts wandering the streets at night.

If "Near Dark" and "Requiem For A Dream" went on vacation in 1950's Paris, got pregnant and had the baby at home somewhere in the middle east, this movie would be that baby.

Atmospheric black and white in Persian with subtitles, it was depressing and dark.  Maybe I would have understood some of the nuances a little better if I was more familiar with the culture, but I did find the visual comparison between the traditional vampire cloak and a woman's hijab interesting.

There is a trench on the edge of town filled with corpses.  And clearly, there are no police.  There are vast class differences, yet they all seem to party together.

If you prefer to slowly experience a world as conceived by the director through tone and ambiance, then you will enjoy this film.  Unfortunately I found it too slowly paced and slightly boring.  As a film for knitters, you might be okay... even with the subtitles, it is long-paced enough that you will have ample stretches of time to stitch while waiting for dialogue.


As for my usual  counts, there was only one eye roll moment at the drug dealer and his stereotypical bachelor pad.  Where does he go hunting for animal head trophies, exactly?

Don't take offense if you loved this film... I am the same way with books.  I hate exposition and prefer lots of dialogue.  Subtle looks and smoke-filled rooms only take me so far.  If I can't tell what a character wants, and how it's trying to achieve it even when the film is almost over, then I'm not happy.

I gave this movie three out of five stars.  I don't need my vampires to move fast for me to enjoy the film, but I found this girl to be a complete mystery right up until the end, and that bothered me.  Perhaps you'll like her better.

No comments:

Post a Comment