Monday, June 22, 2015

Ted (2012) R

Mila Kunis (Friends With Benefits), Mark Wahlberg (Contraband), Seth MacFarlane (A Million Ways to Die in the West)

What if a young boy's Christmas wish that his teddy bear came to life actually came true?  And what would their lives be like twenty-five years later?

I'll be totally honest, I did not want to like this film.  I am not a fan of crude
humor, and I knew from experience that MacFarlane often goes a shade too far for my taste.  However, the minute I heard Patrick Stuart (Star Trek, TNG) as the narrator and dropping cuss-words, I was buckled in for the ride.  I watched the theatrical release, so maybe that improved my experience.  And I'm very glad I stuck with it.

An unprecedented fifteen laugh out loud moments, two holy crap moments, and an eye-roll during this film.  From the singing in this film, it is very hard to believe Wahlberg ever had a musical career, so kudos to him for being able to give a boo-worthy performance with a mic.

Continuing my total honesty, I welled-up a bit at the ending.  That potty-mouthed, over-sexed, bong-smoking little bear tugged at my heart strings.

Four and a half stars out of five, and if I didn't have such a problem with my gag reflex kicking in on a poop joke, it probably would have gotten five.  It's over quickly, so don't let that stop you.  This will not be a film for everyone, and the R rating is deserved for the theatrical release, however if you don't mind a bit of pot-smoking, topless women, or fart jokes, then give this movie a try.  As a movie for makers, you're going to drop the needles for the action sequences, but the friendship between a man and his bear is both hilarious and touching, and is definitely one you should see.








No comments:

Post a Comment