Thursday, June 11, 2015

Done the Impossible (2006) TV-PG

Joss Whedon, Adam Baldwin, Alan Tudyk, Jewel Staite, Morena Baccarin, Ron Glass, and a whole mess of Browncoats.

Being a die-hard Browncoat, fan of Firefly, avid participant in the message boards (as Tilandra... hi guys!!) and the write-in campaign, I don't know why it took me so long to watch this documentary.  I suppose in a way it was because it's bittersweet... we got our
film.  With Nathan firmly ensconced in "Castle" however, any further victories are going to be pretty difficult.  I was also living in Louisiana when hurricane Katrina hit, right in the middle of the campaign for the movie.  So I avoided watching this for a long, long time.  Too many mixed up, emotional memories during that time.

Let me say this... the stories of the fans' endless generosity and unconditional support of each other is genuine.  After Katrina, other browncoats sent me an emergency Firefly DVD set, issues of the comics, and genuine love and support through messages of encouragement and sympathy.  They are a fine group of people that I am proud to be associated with.

I am not a fan of the filk music, however... but I'm on the autism spectrum and very sensitive to off-key singing and lyrics changes.  That's on me.  If that kind of thing bothers you, you need to know that the music gets better the farther into the documentary you go.

As a movie for makers, this is excellent to craft to, as I always find it easy to follow interviews when not watching the screen.  Just be sure to catch any name cards that pop up, especially for the Browncoats, as they are only shown once.  I laughed out loud ten times during this film, mostly at the antics of Nathan, Alan, Joss, and other cast members, but often at the fan stories also because they are so true... typical fan stuff.

If you're a fan of Firefly and haven't watched this yet, do so.  You will see a bit of yourself in these people.  If you haven't watched Firefly yet, pick that up first... then watch the documentary and see the friends you haven't met yet.  Because you will become one of us after you give the show a chance.



No comments:

Post a Comment