Monday, June 15, 2015

Dead Snow (2009) NR

Eight medical students on break decide to go to a remote cabin far up in the mountains where they discover a hidden cache of Nazi gold.  When they agree to keep it for themselves, the soldiers rise from their wintry graves and try to take it back.

This is in Norwegian, but it has English subtitles, so as a crafting movie this will suck unless you can knit without looking at your hands.  However, the
sequel is in English, so I recommend watching this one first to get an idea of what you're getting yourself into.

This is full of gloopy blood, Nazi imagery, frozen snot, and they seem to have a fondness for ripping out their victims' entrails.  You will see a lot of intestines.  To be honest, I'm not sure how much of this movie was simply cultural differences, and what was creative writing, but I thoroughly enjoyed it.  There were some of the most original ways to off a zombie that I've ever seen in this film.

As an aside, you would think that a country where they spend ten months out of the year  half frozen they would be extremely well motivated to have indoor plumbing.  I'm just saying... and sex in an outhouse?  No thank you.  Whoever wrote that has obviously never been in one.  Or at least not one that thaws out on a regular basis.  Gross.

I counted at least four laugh out loud moments, but there were probably more as I got swept up in watching both the subtitles and the action.  If you enjoyed Evil Dead, you will like this film.  I gave it four and a half stars out of five.  I can't wait to watch the sequel and see what happens to the survivor.


No comments:

Post a Comment