Monday, October 10, 2016

X-Men: Apocalypse (2016) PG-13

When the first mutant is awoken from his stone prison deep beneath a pyramid in Cairo, the X-men fight to stop him from cleansing the earth of its human inhabitants.

As a fan of the Marvel universe, I enjoyed this film immensely.  Was it perfect?  No.  Was it as bad as other critics have made it out to be?  No.  It's a difficult job to balance a huge arch-villain, four or five core heroes, four or five villains (some of whom switch sides later on) and make them all engaging and at the very least, people you can empathize with and understand.  I feel they accomplished this with very few errors.

As a crafter's movie, it depends on what distracts you.  I am constantly mesmerized by the battle scenes, especially Quicksilver's sequences, and I am constantly missing tiny, humorous bits that happen when I briefly look down.  Ultimately, if you're like me, save the knitting until your second or subsequent watch-throughs so you can catch all the moments the first time.

Four out of five stars.  While I enjoyed the film a lot, especially some more back story on Jean, Scott, and Logan's relationships, plus Erik's history, this movie just wasn't as deeply satisfying to me overall as some in the past.  I couldn't take the villain seriously, since he was mostly just manipulating others.  We knew he couldn't ultimately defeat Charles in an intellectual battle of wills, not with all of his friends around, and so I never really felt the danger.

By all means add this to your X-men collection, but maybe wait for the price point to fall down a bit before you bite.

No comments:

Post a Comment